Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thankfulness in this season!

Okay so it's been a really long time since I last posted. Facebook has become so simple and fast, it's just the easier and fastest thing for me to do! So I have been thinking lately about lot's of people's situations around us due to the economy. At first I was feeling a little sad and I started to get anxious about our own situation. But because we have a God that is so loving and faithful, he will not allow me to be anxious or think of negatives right now. Now maybe it's just where i'm at, and maybe it won't always be like this, maybe it will get way worse. I don't know what will happen in the future, not even tomorrow, and tomorrow is not promised to me! So I have decided to live in the JOY that I have today! I have an amazing husband who has worked hard all his life!! We got together in high school as most of you know, and we both started working as soon as we were able to get permits, and always worked more than we should have for being students in high school. No matter what happened with Richard's job situation, he always just jumped into another one. When Richard and I first got together, my family didn't really like him because they wanted me to stay with the "rich christian boy" that I was dating before him. But as they got to know him more, and even till today, the one thing they always say and know, is that Richard is a hard worker, and they all know he will always take care of us! That is not something that is common in my family, the men usually run or turn to drugs and alcohol instead! So my family has a lot of respect for him because of that! All of this to say that even though times are tough and there is just simply NO work out there right now, no one hiring him, jobs falling through, bills piling up, creditors calling us, things that have to be let go or given up, there is peace in just having each other! I have realized that we never needed all those "things" or all the places to go, and definately never needed so much fast food! I always wanted to move out of California to "slow down" and just be able to focus on my family and those little things that really matter, a huge factor for not moving is our family and church family! But I also have realized that the things we are losing are things that I have asked to be taken away, maybe not directly, and maybe not everything, but most them serve as distractions or they are really just not needed! I know that people tend to talk like this when times are tuff, but I am honestly blessed that God has given me eyes to see all of this before my kids are grown up. I was thinking of the last three summers, and how enjoyable they were, and yes we spent a lot of great family time together, and had experiences and moments that the kids will remember for ever and they were all things we had never done before and it was all because of God's blessings, and as I was looking ahead to this summer and trying to focus on the things we weren't going to be able to do, God started showing all the things we could do right here at home, like having sleep overs in the living room with the kids, having more bon fires in the backyard with friends and family, camping out in our backyard! How fun would that be, we already have a fort and a wolf..lol! Working on the playground with the kids, let them paint it or something that doesn't cost a lot of money! Letting the kids make a lemonade stand this summer and sell lemonade! More walks to park, more trips to the beach. Art projects in the back yard or at the park. I am blessed that we were able to get Disneyland passes this last year, so we can go for free this year!! Movie nights in the living room!! More opportunities to teach our kids about Jesus and being Thankful for what we have. I think of walks in our neighborhood and maybe actually really meeting our neighbors and building relationships. I walked through our car port this morning after pulling the van in for the street sweeper, appreciated the dogs we have that I asked for since I was a kid ( I wanted a german shepherd, black and tan, full breed, and a siberian husky, gray and white with blue eyes to be exact) and God has blessed me with that, and I don't take care of them or appreciate them like I should. I started realizing all the things that I had asked for and have. I also have thought about the realization and possibility of losing our home....and even in that I have a peace that if that is what has to happen, then it has to happen, I know that we have family that we can live with until we get back on our feet or go back to an apartment and God has blessed us with so many wonderful friends for support. I don't say this to get anything or make people feel sorry for us, I am simply sharing my feelings and things i've been processing in the last few weeks. I am so blessed and Thankful to have the husband that I have, and the amazing children that I have ( that I also don't appreciate enough) and such great friends and family. I also know that this is a season we are in, but I am always looking for what God is trying to say to me in these times, instead of focusing on complaints and pleas for more, I find myself so full grace and Thankfulness in everything I do have, that is important. I try to learn lessons from mistakes and be open to transformation and change. I know a lot of people don't like change, but I love it, because there is always opportunity for growth and transformation some how. If we always stood comfortable, we wouldn't rely on God as much as we Always should! So in this season, I stand Thankful and look forward to changes that need to be made that I believe will ultimately benefit my family, and help us all to truly be Thankful for just having each other!! I pray that God keeps me here or reminds me of this when things get better, because this is where I want to be no matter what my circumstance or season is!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Selina, I'm right there with you, girl. We've been struggling for a while now...well, since I got layed off in February of 07 but I'm not letting go. God had brought us through far too many struggles to think He's not still holding on to us. I got not where else to look but up!

Lori said...

Amen Selina! What a great attitude you have taken on. Thanks for writing that - it really blessed me.

My DJ name

Your DJ Name Is:
DJ Screamin' Banana